Happy Hour in Paradise

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Wilma

I evacuated on Sunday night, just before the storm hit. I drove my self and my prized possessions up to Champaign, Illinois, where I hid under my brothers bed until the storm was over. I got to enjoy electricity and hot water for week. Had I stayed these would have been denied me. Also gas, food, water and ice were in short supply until last weekend. South Florida got pummelled pretty good. I have many friends who are still without power and some who don't have clean water to drink. I'm glad I left, and all my friends are jealous that I did. Next time I drive up there I'm bringing Laura for company.

I got home Sunday night to find one of the large Mango trees in the backyard had fallen over. Onto the house. Onto my apartment. Blocking the stairs to my apartment. Fortunately there was no structural damage and my roof appears to be sound. It was kind of fun to climb up through the branches to get in. It's all cut up now, and I'm sad to see it go. Now there is more light in the back, but I still sense the hole in the sky where it used to be. I will really miss it come Mango season. Luckily I still have one tree to keep me going. It seems that power was restored to my house on Thursday. Too late to save my full refrigerator. Fortunately, my renters insurance has it covered. Grocery shopping on The Man, I love it.

All told I drove 2600 Miles last week. Here are the highlights.

- Heard Stairway to Heaven 5 times.
- Heard Goldigger 17 times.
- Required 1 oil change.
- $38 in tolls I didn't have to pay on the Florida Turnpike. (Tolls are waived during evacuations)
- Popped one tire.
- $3.75 spent keeping the popped tire inflated enough to drive on until I reached Champaign. ($.75 every 120 miles for the last half)
- 2 hours in traffic on Sunday in Atlanta due to a NASCAR race.
- 2 hours waiting in line for gas on Sunday in Palm Beach county.
- Lowest gas price: $2.19 per gallon in Champaign, Illinois.
- Highest gas price: $3.09 per gallon in outside of Macon, Georgia.

-Good night and good luck

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Next time I suggest you get on a plane and evacuate to Belgrade - the women here LOVE American men and the beers cost 30 cents - although I realize that that doesn't beat free beer, but the women Brad, the women!!!

(unless this Laura person is a girlfriend, and in that case, I want either a post or an email with details)

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home