Happy Hour in Paradise

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Extinct...Not!

Many of you may have heard about the big excitement in the birder community. Investigators from Cornell have found a live specimen of the Ivory-Billed woodpecker in the Cache River National Wildlife Reserve in Arkansas. This bird had been listed as extinct for 60 years. They weren't looking for it, they just stumbled upon it while canoeing down the river.

This news pleases me quite a bit. It's good to think that nature can persevere despite the best efforts of modern man. I have hopes that other species once thought extinct will be found or saved. I believe it's important that we do this as responsible stewards of the planet.

As a tribute I started to look around at the backyard wildlife in my neck of the woods. I have personally seen many birds, including bluebirds, cardinals, and some kind of really loud toucan looking bird. On the ground I found slugs, snails, and squirrels. At night in the huge Mango tree above my deck I've seen a possum, rats, cats, and a raccoon. The two wee beasties I see most often are Geckos and Palmetto Bugs (a gentle name for cockroaches). The palmetto bugs hate the rain and when it rains hard (everyday this time of year) they cling to the window screens trying to get in to the apartment. I am of mixed feelings about this. I have no problem with them outside, but when I find them inside, they meet a swift demise. It's a challenge because those bugs move fast! Really fast! Like jedi ninja fast! My advantage is my reach is greater than theirs.

I'm about to get ready to go out for the evening. Tomorrow I'll put up some photos of my exploits. Until then, stay classy America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home